PHP MySQL Database
With PHP, you can connect to and manipulate databases.
MySQL is the most popular database system used with PHP.
What is MySQL?
- MySQL is a database system used on the web
- MySQL is a database system that runs on a server
- MySQL is ideal for both small and large applications
- MySQL is very fast, reliable, and easy to use
- MySQL uses standard SQL
- MySQL compiles on a number of platforms
- MySQL is free to download and use
- MySQL is developed, distributed, and supported by Oracle Corporation
- MySQL is named after co-founder Monty Widenius's daughter: My
The data in a MySQL database are stored in tables. A table is a collection of related data, and it consists of columns and rows.
Databases are useful for storing information categorically. A School may have a database with the following tables:
PHP + MySQL Database System
- PHP combined with MySQL are cross-platform (you can develop in Windows and serve on a Unix platform)
A query is a question or a request.
We can query a database for specific information and have a recordset returned.
Look at the following query (using standard SQL):
The query above selects all the data in the "Bus" column from the "Tree" table.
To learn more about SQLSQL tutorial.
Download MySQL Database
If you don't have a PHP server with a MySQL Database, you can download it
for free here:
Facts About MySQL Database
MySQL is the de-facto standard database system for web sites with HUGE volumes of both data and end-users
Another great thing about MySQL is that it can be scaled down to support embedded database applications.
Look at http://www.mysql.com/customers/ for an overview of companies using MySQL.