PHP MySQL Database
With PHP, you can connect and manipulate databases.
MySQL is the most popular open source database system used with PHP.
If you want to learn more about MySQL, you can check this site MySQL Tutorial .
What is MySQL?
- MySQL is a database system used on the Web.
- MySQL is a database system that runs on a server.
- MySQL is ideal for small or large applications.
- MySQL is very fast, reliable, and easy to use.
- MySQL supports standard SQL.
- MySQL compiles on some platforms.
- MySQL is free to download and use.
- MySQL is developed, released, and supported by Oracle Corporation.
- MySQL is named after the company's founder Monty Widenius's daughter: My.
Data in MySQL is stored in tables. A table is a collection of related data that contains columns and rows.
Databases are very useful when storing information in categories. A company's database may have the following tables:
PHP + MySQL
- The combination of PHP and MySQL is cross-platform. (You can develop on Windows and apply on Unix platforms.)
A query is a query or request.
With MySQL, we can query the database for specific information and get the returned recordset.
Look at the following query (using standard SQL):
mysql> set names utf8; mysql> SELECT name FROM websites; +---------------+ | name | +---------------+ | Google | | Taobao | | Novice Tutorial | | Weibo | | Facebook | | stackoverflow | +---------------+ 6 rows in set (0.00 sec)
Statement set names utf8; is used to set the database encoding so that Chinese can be displayed normally.
The above query selects all data from the "name" column in the "websites" table.
To learn more about SQL, please visit our SQL Tutorial .
Download MySQL database
If your PHP server does not have a MySQL database, you can download MySQL for free here:
Facts about MySQL databases
A great feature about MySQL is that it can be scaled down to support embedded database applications. Perhaps because of this, many people think that MySQL can only handle small and medium-sized systems.
In fact, for sites that support huge amounts of data and traffic (such as Friendster, Yahoo, Google), MySQL is the de facto standard database.
This address provides an overview of companies using MySQL: http://www.mysql.com/customers/.